Anywhoo.. I was organizing my garage on one of those nice, sunny afternoons and found a hoodie I was going to donate and decided to upcycle it into something I've been wanting to try. It's nice and cozy and smooth on the inside, but was just a bit to short my my liking. Deconstructing it a bit and adding a little bit here and there it turned into this!
Cute huh? She looks so cozy in it:) Its perfect for those cool evenings and was oh so easy to make!
Here's how I did it:
I started with a plain adult hoodie. Size small used here which made a size 2T/3T poncho.
Next I cut off the arms, pulled out the drawstring of the hood and, cut off the bottom about 3 inches to make it shorter. Didn't hem it because the fleece doesn't fray.
- I seam ripped the kangaroo pocket the positioned it higher so her little hands could fit in it.
- Sewed up the sides from where I cut the arms off then made slits on the sides where her arms would go.
- Used embroidery thread to blanket stitch the edges of the slits to make it look more finished.
- Turned hoodie part inside out then sewed it smaller to fit her head and used the original hem as a guide.
- Cut a slit does the neck and blanket stitched with embroidery thread for extra detail. Then added a little more design to the pouch by embroidering more around the edges, but used white thread to stand out.
- Still felt like it needed a little more oomph so I added lining to the hood with some vintage, floral fabric.
And that was it! New poncho!
Aww look at that grumpy little face. She was upset because I wouldn't let her climb on those rocks..crazy girl! She still looks super cute though ;o)
I love that fabric and I'm sad I'm running out boo! But at least its getting some use out of it.
I love how easily she can just throw it on now I need to make one for big dolly, but I'm probably going to need to buy a large adult hoodie. I can just see them wearing them on a cool night by a campfire:) Man now I want one too! hehe
Thanks for stopping by!